Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Clothes and Temperature

I tied temperature into our lesson today to stretch it out a little. It worked out quite well!

We started out discussing the difference between summer (hot) and winter (cold). What do we do in the summer? In the winter? What do we wear in the summer? In the winter?

Classification Games: We separated pictures into two categories, summer and winter. These pictures had different types of clothes and activities.

Dress Me: I have two paper dolls and some winter and summer clothes. I asked 1 boy to dress his in winter clothes and the other to dress in summer clothes.

Book:
Smelly Socks by Robert Munsch
This book is about a girl who got some new socks and would NEVER take them off. They got so smelly that her friends took them off her and washed them for her. After the book we talked about another to keep our bodies healthy, washing ourselves and our clothes.

Science: I have a meat thermometer (any would work though). I heated up a cup of water and in another cup I put some ice water in it. We moved the thermometer back and forth and watched the red arrow move. We talked about temperature and what it means when the arrow moves.

Art/Fine Motor/Math Activity: We made a thermometer (I'll post a picture of it soon so you can make one, they are really cute!). I numbered circle sticker, 1-5 and had the kids place them in order on the thermometer (for older kids you can do 1-10). It is trickier because they could be starting at the bottom and ending at the top. I then had a pix of a swimsuit, sweater, and coat and we glued them on the thermometer in the correct place (swimsuit up top because it's hotter and coat on the bottom because it's colder).

Skills Worked On: Math (counting), classification, fine motor, science.

Coming Up: Next we we will be doing Manners instead of Oceans. I'll be doing Oceans sometime this month (it's one of my favorite topics and I want two days to do it).

No comments: