Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Review!

Today we did a quick review of our basic concepts: colors, shapes, numbers, and letters.

We started out reviewing our shapes. I have foam cut-out shapes and I first ask what shape it is (anyone can answer), then lay them out on the floor for all to see. I then ask specific children, one-by-one, to give me a specific shape. (I usually ask them for a shape I know they don't know to help them remember). Most of the time they will be able to grab or point to the shape once you say the name, but are not able to TELL you the name just yet.

Book: Chicka Chicka 1 2 3
by Bill Martin Jr., Michael Sampson, Lois Ehlert
Cute book, but a little advanced for my 3 year olds (it goes up to 100).
After the book, I laid out apple clip-art with a number on them, 1-10. Using the same method as with the shapes, we reviewed our numbers.

Book: What Color is Your Underwear?
by Sam Lloyd
The kids absolutely love this book! It's a flip-up and so much fun!
I then looked around the room and asked them their colors.

Book: Alphabet Adventure
by Audrey Wood, Bruce Wood
Such a cute book, a great way to review all the letters but also focus on the lower-case i.

Art Activity:
I divided a piece of paper into 6 squares, then wrote in each square a specific number with a color. You can do any color, but I recommend going in number order for your younger ones. For example, mine read 1Brown (written in brown), 2 Green (written in green), 3 Pink (written in Pink), etc.
Each child had scraps of each color and some scissors. They were able to cut pieces out from the scraps and then glue the correct number of pieces to the corresponding square.

SKILLS WORKED ON: shapes, numbers, colors, letters, fine motor (scissors) one-to-one correspondence.

Fun side note: As I was running an errand with my little boy (who does preschool with me) he was looking out the window and said, "Look Mommy, a crescent!" (He saw the moon and sure enough it was the shape of a crescent!) I love these little moments that tell me they truely are soaking in every word I say to them!!! Happy teaching!

No comments: